How Do I Train My Dog to Wear a K9 Mask® Air Filter?
Training your dog to wear a K9 Mask® involves patience, pairing a positive stimulus with wearing the mask, and practice so you are prepared when an air quality crisis happens.
- Present the mask to your dog and let the dog smell it.
- Try adding a snack treat inside the mask for your dog to sniff and retrieve. This process gives a positive reinforcement about the mask.
- Try putting the mask on your dog’s muzzle for a few seconds, while giving verbal affirmation to your dog, to acclimate it to the mask.
- Repeat this sequence several times, working towards securing the mask in place around the dog’s neck and muzzle using the hook and loop tabs.
- Provide positive verbal feedback to the dog about wearing the mask.
- Be patient. Dogs have different temperaments and some will easily adapt to wearing the mask while others will need more time and encouragement.
People and pets do not really want to wear an air filter mask. But, we know it is good for our health so we are willing to do what is a little uncomfortable to protect ourself and others.
Search for your K9 Mask®: