What Makes K9 Mask® Unique
The 'World’s First' air pollution mask specifically designed for dogs. Weather changes are resulting in dramatic ecological events including increased wildfires, dust storms, volcanic activity, hurricanes, and other situations which negatively affect the air we breathe.
We created the 'Original' air filter mask for dogs to protect your pet during an air pollution crisis. Prepare your pet to breathe pure air with a K9 Mask®.
K9 Masks® Features
PM 2.5 filter
Filters out the smallest toxic particles in the air (smaller than the width of a human hair - 2.5 microns) from getting into a dog's lungs and blood stream which can cause short and long-term health problems.
N95 rated filter
Filters up to 95% of non-oil based particulate air matter. Rating standards of FDA, CDC (Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention) and NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health).
Activated carbon filter
Bonds with harmful air molecules reducing toxins from entering a dog's blood stream.
Panting exhale valve
Releases heat from panting to help cool the dog.
Superior Performance for Maximum Protection
K9 Mask® has superior mask functionality for effective air filtering. The K9 Mask® is the first air pollution mask specifically designed for the shape of a dog's muzzle. We are the only air filter for dogs with a muzzle adjustment strap to ensure no polluted air leaks into the mask. The K9 Mask® uses the highest rated N95, PM2.5, and Active Carbon air filter refills fo up to four hours of use for each filter. The K9 Mask® is washable to remove slobber and dirt from outdoor use keeping the mask fresh.
Premium Comfort and Fit Adjustment
- Breathable soft mesh for a comfort fit with an adjustable neck strap.
- Fits various muzzle sizes and shapes with a flex fit adjustment on the muzzle.
- Muzzle adjustment controls air flow through the air filter to keep any polluted air from leaking into the mask.
- Disposable air filters for freshness and high-quality filtration every use (up to four hours of use for each filter).
- Durable and washable design.
Visibility in Low Light Conditions
- Reflector panels on the sides of mask for dark or dimly lit environments to protect your pet in a crisis.
Concerns about an Air Filter Mask for Dogs
- Yes, we know a dog needs to pant to cool itself. We use a panting exhale valve to release heat from the mask. There is a risk of hurting a dog by putting a mask over its mouth and nose. Please read all of our warnings (below), in our product descriptions, and on our packaging before using this on your dog. We want to empower pet owners to care for their pets, not harm them.
- Yes, we know a dog uses its nose to navigate the world. The K9 Mask® is meant for use in an air pollution crisis, and not for casual use. It is a protective device for serious air quality concerns.
- Yes, we know a dog doesn't want to wear an air filter mask. As many people have discovered recently wearing an air filter mask can be uncomfortable. People and pets will probably never like wearing a mask. But, we do it for safety and protection knowing that our short and long-term health is more important than our immediate comfort. Use our training guide tips to introduce the mask to your dog and prepare them to wear it in when a crisis happens.
K9 Mask® Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I find the right size K9 Mask® for my dog?
Find more details about K9 Mask® sizing on our Fit Guide Sizing Chart here.
2. What are common reasons to use a K9 Mask®?
We advise people to use a K9 Mask® when dogs are in environments with smoke from wildfires, smog from industry, high vehicle emissions in urban centers, dust storms in dry regions, ash from volcanoes, bacteria from red tides, mold from moisture, fumes from paint, allergies from pollenating vegetation, or high bacteria counts.
3. How to insert the air filter into the K9 Mask®.
Open the zipper on the top of the mask. Insert the air filter into mask with the dark side on top and white side on the bottom. Place the curve edge of the filter facing the nose of the mask. Align the air filter inside the mask so all edges of the air filter fit against the sides of the mask. Close the zipper on the mask.
Having trouble inserting the air filter into the K9 Mask? Go to our FAQ page for how to insert air filters video.
4. How to secure the K9 Mask® on a dog's muzzle to keep polluted air from being inhaled.
K9 Masks® are effective when they are worn properly. Using the K9 Mask® muzzle adjustment under the snout/muzzle of a dog a pet owner is able to adjust the tension on the mask to significantly reduce polluted air from leaking into the mask. This ensures only air passing through the air filter is being inhaled by the dog.
5. How do I train my dog to wear the K9 Mask®?
Training your dog to wear the Pure Air X-1 K9 Mask® involves pairing a positive stimulus with wearing the mask.
- Present the mask to your dog and let the dog smell it.
- Try adding a snack treat inside the mask for your dog to sniff and retrieve. This process gives a positive reinforcement about the mask.
- Try putting the mask on your dog’s muzzle for a few seconds, while giving verbal affirmation to your dog, to acclimate it to the mask.
- Repeat this sequence several times, working towards securing the mask in place around the dog’s neck and muzzle using the hook and loop tabs.
- Provide positive verbal feedback to the dog about wearing the mask.
6. Can I wash the K9 Mask®?
Yes, the exterior mask is washable. The replaceable N95 with PM2.5 air filters which you take in and out of the mask are not washable. Dogs tend to slobber when breathing or panting so we designed the K9 Mask to be washable to keep it fresh and clean for long-term use.
- Before washing the K9 Mask remove the air filter. The mask may be washed in cold water with detergent and then hang to air dry.
7. How long can my dog wear the K9 Mask®? How long do the air filters last?
We recommend using each air filter up to four hours. Just like an air filter in a home air conditioning unit needs to be replaced because dust, lint, debris, and tiny particles get trapped in the filter, a K9 Mask® air filter will need to be replaced. Depending on large particle air conditions, moisture levels, or excessive dirt in the filter it might be necessary to replace the K9 Mask® air filter sooner.
- WARNING: Designed for temporary use only.
- Designed for temporary use only. Prolonged use can affect a dog's natural ability to cool itself through panting especially at temperatures of 80° (F) / 26° (C) or higher. This mask is intended to be used for a short duration and under close supervision. Do not use more than 10 minutes at a time. After 10 minutes you may remove the mask for several minutes to check the breathing and panting of your dog then continue wearing the K9 Mask®. Always visually monitor your dog while wearing the K9 Mask®. If you notice labored breathing or signs of overheating remove the mask immediately. This mask may cause injury or death to your dog. Please consult your veterinarian about the health of your dog before using this air filter product.
8. What do vets say about air filter masks for dogs?
“Dog and cats are going to breathe in the same stuff you or I are going to breathe in," says Sacramento veterinarian Dr. Brianna Benedetto." Watch Dr. Benedetto talk more about air pollution masks for dogs...[video 1:39].
- We are talking to veterinarians about the use of K9 Masks for dogs in poor air quality environments. We are also researching the breathability of dogs wearing the K9 Mask® using a pulse oximeter. The pulse oximeter measures the amount of oxygen circulating in the blood. This research will help set guidelines for safely using a K9 Mask. We are also concerned about over heating. Dogs release heat through panting. If anything restricts a dogs ability to pant it can cause overheating in a dog and a potential for heat stroke.
9. Will the K9 Mask® work as a muzzle for my dog?
The K9 Mask® does work as a muzzle. This is a secondary purpose for the K9 Mask. The primary function of the mask is to protect the dog from polluted air. However, the K9 Mask functions to muzzle a dog from barking and biting. During the anxiety of a wildfire, or other extreme weather events, dogs become anxious. A dog wearing the K9 Mask as a muzzle is useful to protect the dog and those around it in these environments.
10. Does the K9 Mask® work when it is wet or raining?
We do not recommend using the the K9 Mask® in the rain. A wet air filter will restrict a dog's ability to breathe through the air filter. The good news about rain is that it is helpful in cleaning polluted air. Often times rain is able to bond to dust and toxic particles in the air that make air pollution worse. During and after a rain the air quality generally improves.
11. How can I share K9 Mask® information with other people?
Share with people who you believe need to be informed about the need to protect dogs from air pollution. You can advocate for the health of dogs by sharing the good news about the K9 Mask®.
- PDF Flyer Download:
Designed in Austin, Texas and Made in the USA
Research and product testing done by dogs we love. We are committed to caring for your pet like it is our own. K9 Masks® are designed in Austin, Texas and Made in the USA.