In this video series, we will guide you through the essential steps to ensure that your dog's air filter mask is most importantly fitted properly but, also comfortable. K9 Mask® air filter for dogs can greatly improve your furry friend's quality of life in areas with poor air quality or high allergen levels.
However, for them to be effective and safe, it's crucial that they fit correctly. Follow these steps to keep your dog healthy and happy.
Step 1: Choose the Right Size
- Start by selecting the appropriate mask size for your dog. We provide a sizing chart here. Measure your dog's snout circumference and length, then refer to these charts to determine the right size. If you do not have a flexible measuring tape you can use a shoe lace or phone charging cable to make your measurements. Then use a ruler or measuring tape to get the measurement from your lace or cable. If your dog is between circumference sizes we recommend getting the larger size mask for better panting space in the mask.
Step 2: Introduce the Mask
- Gently introduce the mask to your dog before attempting to put it on. Let your dog sniff and get familiar with it. Offer treats inside the mask and praise your dog with affirming words to create a positive association.
Step 3: Put on the Mask
- Hold the mask in one hand and use your other hand to gently lift your dog's snout. Slide the mask over your dog's snout, ensuring that their snout is comfortably placed in the mask's snout section. Make sure the mask's straps are on either side of the head.
Step 4: Secure the Straps
- Secure the hook and look straps behind your dog's head, ensuring they are snug but not too tight. You should be able to slip a finger between the strap and your dog's skin comfortably. Also, secure the hook and look strap on the bottom of the mask, underneath your dog's snout, to pull the back side of the mask snug against your dogs snout.
Step 5: Check for Comfort
- Observe your dog's behavior. Dogs have different dispositions and it will take some training and encouragement for your dog during this process. If your dog seems distressed or panicky, remove the mask immediately. While most people do not like wearing an air filter mask we understand it is important for health reasons. It will take some training and encouragement for your dog to wear a mask too. No one wants to wear a mask, people or pets.
Step 6: Practice and Positive Reinforcement
- Practice putting on and taking off the mask several times. Each time you put it on, offer treats and praise your dog. This will help them associate the mask with positive experiences.
Step 7: Length of Use
- Start by having your dog wear the mask for short periods and gradually increase the time. Monitor your dog's comfort and remove the mask if they exhibit signs of discomfort or distress. Read all of the warnings and wear duration times for your K9 Mask to ensure that your dog is safe from harm and gets the maximum benefits from this air filter protection in a crisis.
Properly fitting an air filter mask on your dog is essential for their well-being in polluted environments. Ensuring a comfortable fit and creating positive associations with the mask will help your dog adapt to wearing it. Remember, the safety and comfort of your furry friend should always be a top priority.
Read more K9 Mask® product descriptions here.